If you have been sucked into the vortex that is Facebook, you may be stuck in a world of memes like I am. 25 things, the book lists, the bucket list, you name it, it can be a note in Facebook. I am all ab out the lists. Then I got to thinking that they would translate pretty easily into a Thursday Thirteen.
So here’s a list (my first of 2009, I believe) of 13 albums that I think fondly of. That hold distinct memories for me. That I memorized the words to, that I knew the order of the songs, that flood me with times and places that once were.
They are in no particular order.
1) Achtung Baby–U2*
2) Disinegration–the Cure*
3) 1999 –Prince*
4) The Reality Bites Soundtrack
5) Cracked Rearview–Hootie and the Blowfish
6) Grease-the Original Broadway Cast Album (first cassette I ever owned)
7) Rites of Passage–Indigo Girls
8) License to Ill–Beastie Boys*
9) Violator–Depeche Mode*
10) Violent Femmes–Violent Femmes
11) Red, Hot + Blue–an album of Cole Porter covers
12) Magical Mystery Tour–the Beatles*
13) Under the Table and Dreaming–Dave Matthews Band*
Now in putting this list together, I noticed a couple of things.
1) Not a single one was produced in this millenia. I’m ok with that. I enjoy music now, but don’t “get into it” like I once did.
2) All but about 2 of them I owned on cassette tape, not CD. Now I’ve had a CD player since 1991, but didn’t have a car with a CD player until 2004. What good is music if you can’t play it in the car???
3) In the case of the **, these albums aren’t necessarily my most favorite albums from these artists, they just happen to be the first album brought to my attention that then launched into an obsession of that band.
So 13 would be a large amount to leave in the comments section, but tell me–what are a couple of your favorite albums of all time??
13 Replies to “Thursday Thirteen”
Those are some great memories!! Number 10 was my favorite by far!! I also loved Yaz- Upstairs at Erik’sp
fun memories in deed
ooh the facebook vortex! I’ve lost entire days there… Sadly.
Great list too! 🙂
Love your list! I’m a fan of some of these bands too, although not a very big fan. Some of my favorite bands are Def Leppard, The Cranberries, and The Corrs.
One album I loved all the songs on was Seal’s second…man…I wore out the CD! Another was the cd Fruitcakes by Jimmy Buffett. Also, Let It Be by the Beatles.
Def Leppard ~ Hysteria
First I have to comment on this: that flood me with times and places that once were.
A lot of good memories in your list for me, too. let’s see. Cat Stevens- Teaser and the Firecat
Might seem crazy for a witch but- The soundtracks to Godspell and jesus Christ Superstar. LOL
I’m up at both EW, with13 ways to Manifest Abundance and Thornesworld with
another gardening fever TT with lotsa links!
Fun list. I’d add Pink Floyd, The Wall to this list. Happy T13!
Hmm. Think I’m going to have to join facebook vortex too.
That Vortex of facebook? i’m there. But I try to avoid the memes, so I can actually leave my house at some point. 🙂
Good list. The only one I’ve got is the Reality Bites soundtrack (now I probably won’t be able to get My Sharona out of my head for the next couple of days).
All of my Fleetwood Mac!! I agree with you on Dave Mathews Under The Table and Dreaming. What a great album. I am also with you on the Facebook vortex! 🙂
violent femmes rules! Prince 1999 was the first album I ever bought with my babysitting money. Still have it! As a matter of face, I have 99% of his albums (or cd’s for you younger folk). LOL No, really, I do have the vinyl albums for many of his.
U2-Joshua Tree-because it was my Jr. Snr year in high school and it got me through so many rough times.
Talking Heads- True Stories
and a lesser known band
Wire Train – in a chamber. Ahhh, the good music days. Sure music is good today, but I have not found my niche like I did back in the 80’s.