If you have been sucked into the vortex that is Facebook, you may be stuck in a world of memes like I am. 25 things, the book lists, the bucket list, you name it, it can be a note in Facebook. I am all ab out the lists. Then I got to thinking that they would translate pretty easily into a Thursday Thirteen.
So here’s a list (my first of 2009, I believe) of 13 albums that I think fondly of. That hold distinct memories for me. That I memorized the words to, that I knew the order of the songs, that flood me with times and places that once were.
They are in no particular order.
1) Achtung Baby–U2*
2) Disinegration–the Cure*
3) 1999 –Prince*
4) The Reality Bites Soundtrack
5) Cracked Rearview–Hootie and the Blowfish
6) Grease-the Original Broadway Cast Album (first cassette I ever owned)
7) Rites of Passage–Indigo Girls
8) License to Ill–Beastie Boys*
9) Violator–Depeche Mode*
10) Violent Femmes–Violent Femmes
11) Red, Hot + Blue–an album of Cole Porter covers
12) Magical Mystery Tour–the Beatles*
13) Under the Table and Dreaming–Dave Matthews Band*
Now in putting this list together, I noticed a couple of things.
1) Not a single one was produced in this millenia. I’m ok with that. I enjoy music now, but don’t “get into it” like I once did.
2) All but about 2 of them I owned on cassette tape, not CD. Now I’ve had a CD player since 1991, but didn’t have a car with a CD player until 2004. What good is music if you can’t play it in the car???
3) In the case of the **, these albums aren’t necessarily my most favorite albums from these artists, they just happen to be the first album brought to my attention that then launched into an obsession of that band.
So 13 would be a large amount to leave in the comments section, but tell me–what are a couple of your favorite albums of all time??