Actually, I’m pretty sure that the only reason I know about it is because I feel like I’ve been basically programmed to check out television on Thursday nights, sweeps or no sweeps, writer strike or no writer strike, and as the network plans, I get sucked in. Especially on Thursdays. Why Thursdays? It’s because since 1983, I’ve been tuning in to NBC for some sort of television show or another. 1983 people. TWENTY-FIVE years they’ve delivered something decent on television just about every Thursday night. Here’s a list of some of my favorite Thursday night TV shows. And lest you think my parents were horrible letting me stay up til 10pm to watch such classics as Night Court, remember, I grew up on Central Time. The fun started at 7pm and was over at 9pm.
1. The Cosby Show (1984-1992)–I cannot believe that show was on until I was in COLLEGE.
2. Gimme a Break (1981-1984)
3. Cheers (1982-1993)
4. Family Ties (1983-1987)–Alex P. Keaton, Mallory, Jennifer…need I say more?
5. Night Court (1984-1988)–my brother and I thought this show was HILARIOUS
6. A Different World (1987-1993)–who didn’t think college was really like that? who didn’t love Dwayne Wayne???
7. Seinfeld (1992-1998)–Legendary. That’s all I have to say about that.
8. Mad about You (1993-1995)–again, this must have been on other nights.
9. Friends (1994-2004)
10. Will & Grace (2000-2005)–Just Jack!
11.My Name is Earl (2005-present)
12. The Office (2005-present)
13. Scrubs (2002-present)–but has also seen it’s share of different nights
That’s a lot of sitcoms, most of which (in my pop culture opinion) have stood the test of time: Syndication. Click here for all you ever wanted to know about Thursday nights on NBC. What were some of your favorites?
Happy Thursday Thirteen!